On Wednesday, January 23rd, 2015 shortly after 1630hrs the Edgewater NJ Fire Department responded to 106 Russell Avenue on a reported fire. Companies arrived to find smoke in an apartment where plumbing work was recently taking place. As time progressed, fire in the walls extended vertically to apartments above as well as a common cockloft.
Facing water problems, additional alarm levels were called and extensive mutual aid began responding. Once the fire was ventilated, cold temperatures and Hudson River wind conditions aggressively spread the fire through the building.
The building, an "E" shaped 1000 x 200 complex, was rapidly consumed. By 2200hrs all 260 apartments were well involved. Extensive mutual aid operated with exterior attack through the next day. There were NO injuries during this incident.
A link to NorthJersey.com's press coverage is here: http://www.northjersey.com/news/officials-blowtorch-used-by-workers-sparked-edgewater-apartment-complex-fire-video-1.1233027
Public Safety Pictures, LLC